Caring for your teeth as a senior citizen is as important as any other time in your life. Because our teeth age with us, they are more prone to damage from years of wear and tear. Aging teeth can still last a lifetime as long as they are still cared for. If you are struggling with maintaining your oral health, McAllister Dentistry can help you. Below are a few ideas to remember when caring for your teeth:
– Quit Bad Habits: If you smoke, drink heavy alcohol, or chew tobacco, you are at a much higher risk for gum disease, tooth decay, tooth loss, and cancer.
– Floss Daily: Floss at least once a day using floss or a dentist-approved flossing tool.
– Make Time for your Dentist: Make sure you visit your dentist as directed for a professional cleaning or oral exam.
– Brush Daily: Brush at least twice a day using soft bristles. If manual brushing is too difficult, use an electric toothbrush.
– Clean Your Dentures: If you have dentures, be sure to remove them and clean them daily.
– Avoid Hard Snacks: It’s important to avoid hard snacks that can damage your weakened teeth. Hard snacks include hard lollipops, popcorn kernels, or chewing on ice.
Follow these important guidelines, and oral health care in your twilight years can be much more enjoyable. If you have not made time for your dentist at McAllister Dentistry, and would like to make an appointment with Dr. John McAllister, please contact us today. We can be reached at 828-322-6731 in Hickory, North Carolina.